Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cubs/Red Sox complete Marlon Byrd trade

The Cubs and Red Sox have completed the Marlon Byrd trade. The Red Sox have already sent relief pitcher Micheal Bowden to Chicago, now they're sending left-hander Hunter Cervenka to the Cubs to officially complete the trade. Cervenka, 22 starting the 2012 season in single a and was the 27th round selection by the Red Sox in the 2008 amateur draft. He currently owns a 5.97 career ERA in four seasons.

The Cubs were definitely desperate to get rid of Byrd.
Analysis: Wait? So that's it? I know Byrd isn't the best player in the world but I thought they would get a better player-to-be-named-later. Bowden is a good pickup by the Cubs but I don't know what Epstein sees in this kid Cervenka. We'll have to see if he develops into anything before I call this trade a bust for the Cubs. Its not like Byrd is exactly tearing it up in Boston so I guess I may work out in Chicago's favor. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment