Thursday, May 24, 2012

Trade Candidate: Kevin Youkilis

I will be starting a new series that features this years trade candidates. I tell you reasons why I believe that player will be traded and I will also show you which teams I believe he will be traded to. The first player I will talk about is Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis.

Could Youkilis be on his way out of Boston anytime soon?
Youkilis has been with the Red Sox for eight seasons and has been one of their cornerstone players. If you asked me a few years ago if I believed that the Red Sox would trade Youkilis, I would probably say no. Youkilis has decent power but is known for his plate discipline. He draws many walks and he has earned the nickname "the Greek God of Walks." He is not enjoying a nice season so far, and he could be available at the deadline. Youkilis is in the final year of his contract but has been dealing with some injury problems this year. The emergence of top third baseman prospect Will Middlebrooks has put Youkilis' future with the Red Sox in jeopardy.

 Teams like the Phillies or Indians have been mentioned as teams that could have interest in Youkilis at the deadline. I could see either team acquiring him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox ask for a hefty price for him. The Indians are only a piece or two away from running away with the AL Central division title and the Phillies desperately need offense in order to get back on top in the NL East. In conclusion, Youkilis is most likely going to be traded this season but it will be interesting to see what the Red Sox ask in exchange for him.

5 comments:

  1. Why would anybody pay a hefty price for two months of a guy having a crappy season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for commenting, I believe that the Red Sox will be very hesitant to let Youkilis go just due to the fact that he is/was there cornerstone player. His value is extremely low right now but he is capable of heating up and getting better. I probably shouldn't have used the word hefty to describe what the Red Sox would get in return. A better word would probably be moderate or respectable. I see your point here he is having a crappy season and I understand your opinion. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I mean, his season might pick up but if not he looks to be in decline, at a dangerous age for that, and even if it does he'd be a rental and past his prime, so I doubt the Sox will get a hefty price for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what moderate or respectable would amount to, maybe a midlevel prospect and a scrub or two? Perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea your right I don't believe the team is going to be blown away with an offer but maybe if they receive a mid-level prospect, salary relief, and some scrub, then I believe they would accept that. They really don't need the salary relief but I'm sure if someone offered it they would take it.

      Delete