Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mariners acquire Thames from Toronto

The Mariners have acquired outfielder Eric Thames from the Blue Jays in exchange for reliever Steve Delabar. Yesterday we found out that Seattle was looking to acquire young, cost-controlled hitters.

Thames has hit .243 with 3 homers and 11 RBI in 160 plate appearances this year. He has hit very well in Triple-A this season, putting up a .335 batting average with 6 home runs and 32 RBI in 228 plate appearances. He is arbitration eligible after this season, and is under team control through the 2017 season.

Delabar, 29, is a hard throwing relief pitcher with a 3.92 ERA and 10.9 K/9 in 43 2/3 career innings pitched with Seattle. He is also under team control through the 2017 season.

Analysis: Wow. I wasn't expecting Thames to be dealt, especially with Snider now in Pittsburgh. It's clear that the Blue Jays are willing to sacrifice some of their offense in order to get some pitching help. Thames is a great young hitter and he could be a key piece in the Mariners future. This is a solid deal for the Mariners. As for the Jays, I really don't know that much about Delabar but I do know that he has posted up great strikeout numbers. He isn't a starting pitcher, and that is surprising because I thought that Toronto was looking for help in the rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment