Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pirates release Eric Bedard

The Pirates have released pitcher Eric Bedard. Pittsburgh also announced that they will make a related move this afternoon.

Bedard posted a 5.01 ERA in 125 2/3 inning this year with the Bucs. Pittsburgh signed Bedard to a one-year deal worth $4.5 million last off-season, and still owe him about $910k.

Kevin Correia could replace Bedard in the rotation. As you may recall, Correia asked for a trade earlier in the season but GM Neil Huntington held onto him in case a situation like this happened. The Pirates rotation currently consists of A.J. Burnett, James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez, and Jeff Karstens.

Analysis: Odd move by the Pirates here. I don't understand why you would release a veteran pitcher who could give you a couple spot starts down the stretch. Now I understand that Bedard has been awful lately, but releasing him could have been a little extreme. What if another starting pitcher goes down with an injury? Now that Brad Lincoln is in Toronto, Pittsburgh really doesn't have a pitcher who can make a spot start every here and there. Anyway, as for Bedard, I'm sure that he'll sign with another team. Hopefully he signs soon, because that would make him eligible for post-season play. I'll say that he either signs with the Yankees, Cardinals (as a reclamation project, because we all know that Dave Duncan can fix anyone), or the Dodgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment