McCann had a rough 2012 season, hitting .230 with 20 home runs and 67 RBI in 487 plate appearances. He recently underwent shoulder surgery that will keep him out for the first few months of the 2013 season.
Hudson had another good season in 2012, posting a 3.62 ERA in 179 innings pitched at the age of 37. He has been in Atlanta since 2006, and has 197 career wins.
Maholm started the season with the Cubs, but was dealt to Atlanta long with Reed Johnson back in July. He became a major weapon for the Braves down the stretch, and completely turned around his career. He posted a 3.67 ERA in 189 innings on the season.
Analysis: I am very surprised that they exercised McCann's club option because he was horrible with them in 2012, and I am worried about his health going forward. I understand that he is a cornerstone player for the franchise, but $12 million is just too much for a guy like him at this point. As for Hudson, he has been one of the more underrated, and consistent players in the game, so picking up his option is understandable. I know he is on the older side, but don't let that fool you, because he is a crafty pitcher who can find a way to win 15+ games and strike out 160+ batters per season. As for Maholm, he was a great pickup by the Braves, and completely changed the way I, and many baseball fans for that matter, look at him. He is an extremely crafty left handed pitcher and I think he'll be worth $6.5 million.
No comments:
Post a Comment