Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What would the Blue Jays have to give up to acquire Cole Hamels?

Cole Hamels might actually get some run support if he plays with the Jays
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has recently talked to Phillies GM Ruben Amaro about the availability of pitcher Cole Hamels. The Phillies have been struggling lately and their GM hinted that they may have a fire sale this year at the trade deadline. Hamels is a free agent at the end of the season so I can envision the Phillies exploring the possibility of trading him. He is still young so there is a chance he could sign an extension but I believe he will want to test free agency to understand his true market value. He could easily get a contract exceeding $100 million. If a team like the Toronto Blue Jays are contending by the deadline, I wouldn't be surprised to see them acquiring Hamels. Toronto has always been a good-hitting team, but it's the pitching that has caused them to fall out of contention every season. Ricky Romero is their underrated ace and Brandon Morrow is enjoying a nice season thus far.  Putting Hamels in thar starting rotation would immediately make the Blue Jays favorites to win the wildcard, if not the division. The topic of this article is What would the Jays have to give up to acquire Hamels? Next I will analyze a possible trade scenario between the Jays and the Phillies. I believe a trade would probably have to be centered around a young starting pitcher on the Jays. That pitcher could be Henderson Alvarez or Kyle Drabek ( former top Phillies prospect.) are names that come to mind. Along with one of these pitchers I'm sure the Phillies wiill ask for either outfielder Erik Thames or outfielder Travis Snider. I can also see the Phillies asking for J.P. Arencibia because he is expendable with top prospect Travis d'Arnaud coming up to the big leagues soon.

Possible trade:

Blue Jays receive: Pitcher Cole Hamels

Phillies receive: Pitcher Henderson Alvarez
                           Outfielder Travis Snider
                           Catcher J.P. Arencibia

2 comments:

  1. I WOULD NEVER MAKE A TRADE LIKE THAT GIVING UP A PLAYER LIKE JP WOULDNT BE GOOD FORTHE JAYS MAYBE ALVAREZ SNIDER AND D'ARNAUD WOULD WAKE MORE SENCE FOR THE JAYS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather give up Arencibia because D'Arnaud has the potential to be a great player. Arencibia doesn't hit for average but does have some pop to his bat. Either way, I think we can agree Philadelphia is going to want some really good prospects so I can definitely see your side of the story here. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete