Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Red Sox release Marlon Byrd

The Red Sox have released outfielder Marlon Byrd. The team designated him for assignment last week but no team put a claim on him.

Boston acquired Byrd from the Cubs back in April for Michael Bowden and Hunter Cervenka. He hit .273 in 105 plate appearances for the Sox. Byrd is now a free agent and can sign with any team for the league minimum.

Analysis: Its weird that the Red Sox had such a short leash for the veteran Byrd. They acquired him back in April and I expected him to serve as the team's fourth outfielder for the remainder of the year but I guess the BoSox had different plans. I believe a team will pick up Byrd because he still can serve as a nice fourth outfielder and can be acquired for the league minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment