Encarnacion was going to be a free agent after this year, and was a trade candidate as well. He has enjoyed a very nice breakout season, hitting 23 home runs with a .295 batting average in 356 plate appearances. He is a career .264 hitter in eight seasons with the Reds and Blue Jays.
He has always had raw power, but is definitely not known for his defense. He has split time between first base and DH this year, and it is assumed that he is going to stay in that role.
Analysis: This is a huge risk, but somehow I like this signing. Encarnacion has been a great hitter to compliment Jose Bautista this year and he is deserving of this money. However, I am a little surprised that the Jays didn't simply save their money and try to land a big free agent pitcher like Hamels or Greinke. They could have traded Encarnacion this month in order to land a few prospects, then they could have re-signed him in the off-season.
In a 10 team keeper league, that keeps 10 Players I was offered:
ReplyDeleteAdrain Gonzalez, and Granderson
for my Cargo
I’m on the fence for this deal, for me it depends on Agonz’s power in the upcoming years,
Are these two guys dependable enough to give away Cargo?
I currently have Ike davis and Cuddyer at 1B, and am in second place
JT: I'd keep CarGo if I were you. Adrian Gonzalez has been pretty bad this year and I'm not sure if he'll find his swing in the second half. Granderson has been hitting plenty of home runs this year but his batting average is really bad. So, if I were you I'd hold onto CarGo. That offer is simply not good enough. I'd stick with Ike Davis at first base because will probably have a big second half of the season. Any other questions? Thanks for commenting.
ReplyDeletethats the way I was leaning as well, Stick with the tier talent. Thanks for the help, love the blog
ReplyDeleteNo problem, Thanks for coming to my website
Delete