Sanchez hit 19 homers in both 2010 and 2011 and entered the season as Miami's franchise first baseman. However, he struggled in the beginning of the season and got sent down to Triple-A. He hit .202 in 196 plate appearances with Miami this year.
Hernandez has appeared in 24 games for Pittsburgh this year, playing all three outfield positions. He has a combined .281 batting average in seven career minor league seasons. The Pirates acquired Hernandez three years ago in the Nate McLouth trade.
Kaminska has a 5.11 ERA in 49.1 innings of relief at the Triple-A level this year.
The Marlins will obtain the 33rd overall pick in the 2013 draft from Pittsburgh.
Analysis: Wow. I didn't realize Sanchez was on the trading block. I honestly thought he was going to be Miami's franchise player at first base but I was dead wrong. This is a great deal for both sides. The Pirates are buying low on Sanchez, who hopefully benefits from a change of scenery. Miami is getting Hernandez, who seems like a decent prospect, and a competitive balance pick, which is great. Kaminska doesn't seem like much of a prospect, and I doubt he will turn into anything good.
No comments:
Post a Comment