Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Athletics acquire Stephen Drew

The Athletics have acquired shortstop Stephen Drew from the Diamondbacks in exchange for minor league infielder Seth Jamieson. Oakland will pay the rest of Drew's 2012 salary, which is roughly $1.9 million. They haven't decided whether they will pick up his 2013 mutual option yet.

The Athletics were definitely linked to Drew prior to the July 31st trading deadline, but the two sides did not agree on a deal. Drew suffered a severe ankle injury last July that ended his 2011 season and cost him a few months in 2012. He has hit just .193 this season, but has a career .270 batting average and is a clear upgrade over Cliff Pennington.

Drew's mutual option for 2013 is worth roughly $10 million, and the buyout is worth $1.3 million.

Jamieson was Oakland's 17th round selection in the 2011 draft. He has hit .234 in 540 plate appearances in Single-A this season, and also is a shortstop.

Analysis: Well I've been saying for the last few days that Oakland needed infield help and this is actually a pretty good move. I give Billy Beane props for buying low on Stephen Drew. Also, acquiring Drew gives Oakland's fan base a sense of thinking that the Athletics are willing to contend this season. Like I said earlier, he is a clear cut upgrade over Cliff Pennington, and I really hope he resurrects his career in Oakland. As for the Diamondbacks, it is pretty sad that they have to get rid of him, and possibly start rebuilding again. Drew's value was so low and he wasn't contributing at all to the team, but now Arizona is forced to use veteran Willie Bloomquist at shortstop. Also, this prospect Seth Jamieson doesn't sound too promising, so I wouldn't be over-ally excited if I was a Diamondbacks fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment