The starting rotation has kind of been a mess ever since Wandy Rodriguez and J.A. Happ were traded. The rotation currently consists of Lucas Harrell, Bud Norris, Jordan Lyles, Dallas Keuchel, and Armando Gallarraga. Harrell has actually had a decent season, but at age 27 I'm not sure if he'll be part of their future. He could, however, turn into solid veteran starting pitcher, considering that he hasn't really hit his prime yet. I've always been a big fan of Bud Norris, but he hasn't put up great numbers over the last few years. He is also 27 years old, and can easily be replaced. Next we have Jordan Lyles, who at 21 years old, seems to have a future with Houston. He hasn't really done anything special at the MLB level, but I feel like he can turn himself into a decent starting pitcher. I pretty much feel the same way about Dallas Keuchel, who is currently a rookie. Gallarraga does not have a future with the Astros, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston releasing him soon in order to allow some of their top prospects to get a taste of the big leagues. Those prospects include Jarred Cosart, Mike Foltynewicz, Joe Musgrove, Paul Clemens, Brett Oberholtzer, and a few others. I have a good feeling that the starting pitching is going to be a strength for Houston in the next few years. Keep in mind that they are going to the American League next season, where the hitters are better and the competition is more intense.
As for the infield, Brett Wallace has recently gotten the chance to play everyday now that Carlos Lee has taken his talents to South Beach. Wallace hasn't really done much with Houston, and I can see him as their future designated hitter because his defense is below average. I can see top prospect Jonathan Singleton, who was acquired in the Hunter Pence deal two years ago, taking over the first base gig. Singleton will be ready for the big leagues very soon, and unless Wallace starts to tear the cover off of the ball, Singleton will probably take his job. As for second base, Jose Altuve has been a nice surprise for Houston this year and I believe that he will be their cornerstone second baseman. Remember they have former first round pick Delino DeSheilds in the minor leagues, but I would imagine that they would try and switch his position. Next we have shortstop, who is currently owned by Jed Lowrie. I've always liked Lowrie, but unfortunately I don't believe that he has a future with Houston. I honestly think prospect Jonathan Villar is the future shortstop for the Astros. Villar was acquired in the Roy Oswalt deal a few years ago, and still needs to be polished. He is prone to many mistakes at the plate, leading to high strikeout totals. However, if he can get his crap together, I think he will take over Lowrie's job. Next we have third base, who is owned by Scott Moore. Moore is definitely not the third baseman of the future. Many people think that Matt Dominguez, who was acquired in the Carlos Lee deal, is going to take his job at the hot corner. I actually disagree with that. Dominguez is a great defender but doesn't offer much at the plate. I honestly think the position will belong to Jimmy Paredes, who is currently raking in Triple-A. Paredes played with the Astros briefly last year and hit very well. At catcher we have veteran Chris Snyder. I'm actually surprised that Snyder wasn't traded last week, because he clearly does not have a future with Houston. His backup, Carlos Corporan, isn't a bad player by an means, but I think the future backstop for Houston will be Carlos Perez, who was acquired in the ten player deal between the Blue Jays and Astros in July.
As for the outfield, it is actually going to be pretty strong in the next few years. In right field we have Brian Bogusevic, who will probably end up being a bench player. I feel like Domingo Santana, who is currently raking in Single-A, will be Houston's future right fielder. Santana is still only 19 years old, and he could get the call to the big leagues at a very young age. In center field we have Jordan Schafer, who isn't anything special. It's safe to say that George Springer, Houston's #3 prospect, will take over Schafer's job eventually. Springer is the definition of a five tool player, and if he can translate his awesome minor league numbers to the majors, he'll be an All-Star center fielder. In left field we have J.D. Martinez, whom I actually believe has a future with Houston. Martinez has a lot of power and is still pretty young.
As for the bullpen, the current closer is Francisco Cordero. There is no chance that Cordero will be with Houston next year, so it is safe to say that his job is open for discussion. I think that Houston will either buy a closer via free agency, or use Kevin Chapman, who was acquired in the Humberto Quintero deal, as the closer.
Overall, if you are an Astros fan, you are pretty much going to have to be a little more patient, because Houston is probably not going to be good for the next 2-3 years. On the bright side, they have practically an endless amount of prospects with high upside. Those prospects are definitely going to define the future on the Astros.
No comments:
Post a Comment