Stanton will be arbitration eligible after the 2013 season, and will be eligible for free agency after the 2016 season. Stanton's possible extension could be similar to the likes of Carlos Gonzalez ($80 million) or Andrew McCutchen ($51.5 million). However, his massive power numbers may skyrocket his contract value.
Analysis: I wouldn't sign Stanton to an extension just yet, simply because he is under team control at a relatively cheap price for the next few years. Of-course, his value could get even higher over the next few seasons, but I think the Marlins should still wait. Stanton's raw power is unbelievable, and it is unimaginable to think about what he can get on the open market. Right now, if he were to be a free agent at the end of the season, I could see him getting a 7 year, $120 million deal. Now, if Miami wants to lock him up sometime next season, I can probably see him getting a 6 or 7 year deal worth $100-120 million.
No comments:
Post a Comment