Q1: Now that Mathis is locked up for a few more years, should Toronto trade Travis D'Arnaud?
- Nope. Mathis is only going to be the backup catcher, and I expect Yan Gomes to switch to another position. That leaves Arencibia, Torrealba, and D'Arnaud. I still think that Arencibia is going to be traded, perhaps in the winter. Torrealba is gone after the season, and that leaves D'Arnaud as the starting catcher.
Q2: Are the Nationals going to add another starting pitcher when they shut down Strasburg?
- Probably not. Washington's rotation is unbelievable, even without Strasburg. I wouldn't mind if a guy like John Lannan fills in for Strasburg, although I don't entirely agree on the way that the Nationals' front office is handling this situation.
Q3: What could a Jason Hammel contract extension look like?
- Interesting topic. I don't think that Hammel is deserving of a contract extension YET, because I want to see at least another year or two of his dominant performance. If he does get an extension in the off-season by the Orioles, assuming he continues his nice performance, I can see the deal exceeding $40 million over the course of 3-4 years or so. I don't think that that would be right, but that's what I envision a possible deal looking like.
Q4: Should the Giants consider acquiring Vernon Wells now that Cabrera is gone for the season?
- Eh... Depends on the Angels' willingness to eat his gigantic contract. If the Halos take on like 95% of his deal, I'd say that the Giants should try and pursue him. However, there are better options out there than Wells. Normally I'd say Soriano but he seems disinclined to join San Francisco, rejecting a trade to them last month.
Q5: What kind of deal could Brandon McCarthy get in the off-season?
- Health has always been a concern for McCarthy, and I believe that is going to scare several teams away from him. Maybe a 2 year deal worth $18 million? He pitches like an ace but is practically never healthy. Kind of like Josh Johnson.
No comments:
Post a Comment