Let's start out with the worst part of the team, the pitching. Now, pitching in the AL East is not an easy task, but the Blue Jays' pitching has been dreadful this year. Their "ace" Ricky Romero has had a brutal season, and he went from one of the most underrated pitchers to one of worst in the league. I feel like Romero is still part of the future, and I actually believe that he will turn it around. It might not be in 2013, but he'll find his mojo once again someday. We all know that he is capable of being an ace. Next is Brandon Morrow, who I am a big fan of. Morrow got off to an incredible start, but an injury to his arm caused him to miss a huge chunk of the season. Morrow is part of the future, and will be an important piece of the rotation in 2013. We also have Henderson Alvarez, who is an interesting player. Coming into this season, I had high hopes for Alvarez, but he has struggled. His development has taken a step back, and some are doubting his ability to pitch in the big leagues. He is still 22 years old, so I believe that he'll find a place in next year's rotation. Toronto isn't ready to give up on him yet. The last two players we have are J.A. Happ and Carlos Villanueva. Both are decent #4 or #5 starters, but I can see the front office upgrading the back end of the rotation. Perhaps adding an arm like Edwin Jackson or Anibal Sanchez would be smart. They could also use Kyle Drabek and/or Drew Hutchison in those rotation spots.
As for the bullpen, they have a bunch of no-name arms who are actually decent. I like Casey Janssen as the closer, and hopefully he keeps the job once Sergio Santos returns next season. Jason Frasor and Darren Oliver are nice pieces to the bullpen, but I expect Oliver to be gone after the season, either via retirement or signing a minor league deal with a different team. They also have players like Brandon Lyon (pending free agent), Steve Delabar, and Brad Lincoln. The bullpen isn't an urgent area to upgrade, but adding a few pitchers, especially a left handed specialist, will be key.
Now, for the area that barely needs any upgrade: the offense. Starting at first base, Edwin Encarnacion is having a monster season, and now that he is locked up for another three years, expect to see him in a Blue Jays uniform next year. Over at second base, Kelly Johnson hasn't really had a good season. I'm sure that Toronto is regretting the Aaron Hill-Johnson swap from last summer. He is a free agent at the end of the season, and it is possible that he leaves Toronto. At shortstop, we have Yunel Escobar, who could actually be traded this winter due to the emergence of prospect Adeiny Hechavarria. Both are young and talented, but Escobar has more trade value, and I can see Toronto trading him/packaging him in a deal that would acquire a starting pitcher. The Blue Jays have Brett Lawrie at third base, and he is definitely a future star in the league. And for catcher, the club has a lot of depth. Jeff Mathis, Yorvit Torrealba, J.P. Arencibia, and prospect Travis D'Arnaud are names that are worth mentioning, but I ultimately think that Arencibia will win the job. D'Arnaud has nice upside, and I think that once he completely figures himself out, Arencibia will be shipped out of Toronto. In left field. Rajai Davis has been getting most of the playing time, despite the fact that he is a bench player at best. The club could use Anthony Gose in left field, but many, including myself, don't believe that he is ready for the big leagues. Expect Davis, or some other 4th string outfielder, to play left field next year. In center field we have the curious case of Colby Rasmus. Rasmus has been good enough during his brief time in Toronto and could be getting an extension soon. He has a future with the team, but if only he could raise that batting average a tiny bit. In right field, at the moment, prospect Moises Sierra is playing there. The Jays have Jose Bautista (out for rest of season), who is one of the best outfielders in the game, and Bautista will obviously have a job with the Blue Jays next season.
GM Alex Anthopoulos has a lot of work to do this off-season. If I were him, I'd give up some of that precious offense in exchange for some pitching. Pitching should be his priority, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him make a big move or two this winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment