Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fantasy talk: Gordon Beckham status report

Gordon Beckham hasn't really lived up to his hype over the last few years, but it feels like a breakout year will come soon. His statistics continue to get better and better every year, and if he develops into a solid option at second base, he could be in a White Sox uniform for a long time.

Beckham was drafted in the 1st round (8th overall) by the White Sox in the 2008 draft. He quickly rose his way through the minors, and within one year he had the starting second base gig with Chicago. He hit .270 with 14 homers and 63 RBI in 430 plate appearances in the 2009 season. That earned Beckham the starting job for the next season, and he didn't play as well in 2010. He hit .252 with 9 homers and 49 RBI in 498 plate appearances. The 2011 season was very similar, except his batting average took a slight dip. Entering 2012, the White Sox really hoped that Beckham would come around and live up to his hype. So far, he hasn't done that at all.

In 2012, he has hit 12 homers with 49 RBI in 487 plate appearances while hitting .231. Beckham has really been a questionable player ever since coming up to the majors. Every year, I feel like he may have a semi-breakout season. If I owned him, I'd take 20+ homers with 80+ RBI and a .270 batting average. That isn't great by any means, but Beckham really needs to turn it around soon. I have a strong feeling that Chicago is losing patience with him, and may be planning on trading him. As a fantasy player, Beckham is, just like I said before, a questionable player. He is too inconsistent and strikes out way to much to be an asset to your team. Don't pick him up unless you catch him on a hot streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment