Thursday, September 27, 2012

Indians fire Acta, replace him with Alomar Jr.

The Indians have announced that they have fired manager Manny Acta, and promoted Sandy Alomar Jr. to the interim manager position for the rest of the 2012 season.

"Managerial changes are never easy or taken lightly, but as we approached the end of the season and turned out attention to assessing the year, we determined a change was necessary," GM Chris Antonetti said in a press release.

The Indians have a 65-91 record, and have had a terrible second half, posting a 21-50 record since the first half ended. In three seasons under Acta, Cleveland has a combined 214-266 record.

Cleveland will imediately start searching for a replacement and Alomar will be a candidate for the full-time position. Alomar is the favorite to win the permanent position, but Terry Francona could also be an option.

Francona told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that he loves working for ESPN and would "have to think about it." There are reports that Francona has a preliminary contract at the moment with the Indians, but Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports doesn't believe that the Indians will pay Francona enough to convince him to return to managing in the big leagues.

Analysis: Wow we have a lot to take in here. First off, the Indians have been horrible since the All-Star break, and they needed to shake up their coaching staff to get a point across. I don't know if firing Acta is the right choice here, because its really the players' fault that Cleveland is out of it. Injuries and horrible trades have derailed the Indians, and I don't think that Acta was a huge problem. Anyway, I really like Sandy Alomar Jr. and I'm happy that he is getting a chance to manage in the big leagues. He has been in the Indians' organization for as long as I can remember, and deserves this opportunity. I hope that he wins the full-time gig for next season, but we'll wait and see for that. As for Francona, I don't see him wanting to go to the Indians. He'll be in a "win-now" mode, and the Indians are not going to be good anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment