"I take full responsibility for my performance which was below my expectations," Nishioka said. "At this time, I have made the decision that it is time to part ways. I have no regrets and know that only through struggle can a person grow stronger."
Nishioka signed a three year, $9 million deal with Minnesota following the 2011 season, and the Twins are no longer responsible for the remaining $3 million of his salary or the 250K buyout on his 2014 contract option.
Nishioka appeared in 68 games for the Twins in 2011, and missed most of the season due to a broken leg that he suffered early on in the season. He has spent most of the 2012 season in Triple-A, where he has hit .258 in 431 plate appearances.
Analysis: This is sort of an odd move from Nishioka's standpoint. The last time a player passed up on guaranteed money was Gil Meche with the Royals a few years ago. I guess the Twins' fans will feel better about him now, but Nishioka simply did not live up to expectations in America. Just another Japanese bust I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment