Thursday, October 11, 2012

2 Brewers players elect free agency

The Brewers have announced that pitchers Vinnie Chulk and Tim Dillard (pictured) have elected free agency after refusing their minor league assignments.

Chulk had a brief stint with Milwaukee in 2012,  posting a 10.00 ERA in nine relief innings. He was designated for assignment in May and has been in the minor leagues ever since. Dillard was in the Brewers' organization for his entire career (drafted in 2002), and has a career 4.70 ERA across four seasons in Milwaukee. He posted a 4.38 ERA in 37 innings in 2012.

Analysis: Chulk really isn't anything special, but did have a few decent seasons with Toronto and San Francisco a while back. I've always liked Dillard's stuff, and I thought that he was going to be a decent setup man for the Brewers. However he really never translated his minor league numbers to the big leagues, forcing Milwaukee to lose patience with him. I'm sure both of these guys with sign deals with someone but in my opinion Dillard has more upside.

No comments:

Post a Comment