Friday, October 5, 2012

Angels, Iannetta agree to an extension

The Angels and catcher Chris Iannetta have agreed on a contract extension that will keep the 29 year old backstop in Los Angeles through the 2015 season. It is a three year deal worth $15.5 million, and will keep Iannetta off the free agent market for the next few years.

Iannetta's previous contract included an option for 2013 worth $5.5 million. He missed most of the 2012 season following wrist surgery, but when healthy he hit .240 in 253 plate appearances.

Analysis: Hmm. I suppose that this isn't a bad signing. Iannetta is a slightly above average defensive catcher and the Angels keep a catcher for the next few years. I guess that he'll be their starter, and that is a mistake. Hank Conger is going to get pushed down again, and he should really be getting everyday reps at the major league level. That also could indicate that Conger may become expendable, so we'll see. As for Iannetta, I like this deal for him because he has a more guaranteed contract for getting $15.5 million after an injury-plagued season is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment