Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Off-season outlook: How to improve the Rays

Andrew Friedman has some work to do this winter
Last night the Rays were officially eliminated from post-season contention following a game against the Orioles in which they actually won. Tampa Bay has had a so-so season, but was still in contention for the majority of the 2012 campaign despite having their star Evan Longoria sit on the disabled list for most of the season with a groin injury. If the Rays want to contend in 2013, they will have to make some minor changes to their roster.

The pitching has always been a strength for Tampa Bay, but I feel like trading away some pitchers could be the right move here for them. David Price's name has been mentioned in trade rumors, but there is no way that they trade him. James Shields will definitely be on the market, and I have a feeling that he will be moved because his value is high, and we know that he can be very inconsistent. Other pitchers like Jeremy Hellickson, Chris Archer, Jeff Niemann and Alex Cobb could become expendable as well. As for their bullpen, I would keep the same exact pitchers that they have now. Fernando Rodney has been unbelievable, and I would keep Kyle Farnsworth, even though his durability concerns me.

If I had to pick one area where the Rays need improvement, it is clearly the offense. With B.J. Upton possibly leaving via free agency this winter, the Rays are going to need to replace his production and surround Evan Longoria with better hitters. They certainly need to go after a first baseman, because I doubt that they are going to bring back Carlos Pena. Ike Davis could be an interesting name, considering that the Mets would probably like some pitchers in return, and Tampa Bay could give them Archer, Cobb, or Hellickson. The Rays definitely need a shortstop, because Elliot Johnson is simply not an everyday player. There will probably be some shortstops available via free agency, but since Tampa Bay is a small market team look for them to trade for someone. In the outfield, I think that the organization is very high on Desmond Jennings, considering that they believe that he will be the next Carl Crawford. I expect him and Matt Joyce to stay with the club in 2013, but like I said before, Upton is probably going to leave the Rays, thus leaving a big void to fill in center field. There are a bunch of names that will be available for the Rays. I can see them expressing interest in players like Denard Span, Dexter Fowler, and Peter Bourjos. Those three players should be expendable, and can be acquired without having to give up any top prospects.

It will be very interesting to see what GM Andrew Friedman does with his club this winter. Running a small market team is never easy, and re-signing Upton will definitely be a challenge for him. I personally think that trading some of their valuable pitching is the right way to go, because they simply have too many pitchers on their roster. Shortstop and 1st base definitely need to be upgraded, and is Upton leaves they will have to find a replacement for him. The Rays are going to need to make some moves, because if they don't they will lose their chance at making the playoffs in 2013, and as we can clearly see this year with the Orioles; you can't take teams like the Blue Jays or Red Sox lightly. The AL East is getting tougher, and the Rays better make some transactions before they hit ground zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment