Friday, October 19, 2012

Posey, Rodney win Comeback POY awards

Today the MLB announced the winners of the Comeback Player of the Year awards. The NL winner is Buster Posey of the Giants, and the AL winner is Fernando Rodney of the Rays. 

Fernando Rodney

Rodney had 48 saves in 50 chances in 2012, and also had a record-setting 0.60 ERA. He also had a 0.78 WHIP with 76 strikeouts in 74 2/3 innings. 

Analysis: Rodney definitely deserved this award, but I hope that he didn't unanimously win. There were a few candidates whom I thought deserved to win, such as Adam Dunn, Jake Peavy, or Joe Mauer, but they weren't mentioned. Anyway, Rodney had a great year, and it is funny that basically no one mentioned that he had the lowest ERA (relief pitchers only) in baseball history, which is quite a feat. Now I don't know if steroids helped him, or if he magically found someone in his delivery that made him a better pitcher. Either way, he was a horrible pitcher last year, and in 2012 he just comes out to have an amazing season. It sounds a little suspicious, am I right?

Buster Posey

Posey hit .336 with 24 homers and 103 RBI in 148 games with San Francisco in 2012. He missed most of the 2011 season due to a broken leg that he suffered during a home plate collision with Scott Cousins, who was on the Marlins at the time. Posey is also being considered as the front-runner for the NL MVP.

Analysis: I honestly expected Posey to come back and have a respectable season, but he had a fantastic season. I didn't realize his batting average was so high, and he is really emerging as a leader for the Giants. I really hope that they don't switch him to first base, because he is a natural catcher and that kind of collision can happen to anyone. However, I'm a big fan of Hector Sanchez (backup catcher), so if they do move Posey to first base, at least they have a good replacement. Anyway, Posey is obviously well deserving of this award, and hopefully he continues to have this success for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment