Friday, November 2, 2012

Blue Jays exercise Oliver's option, decline Davis' but re-sign him

The Blue Jays have announced that they have exercised their 2013 club option for pitcher Darren Oliver, and declined Rajai Davis' 2013 option, but re-signed him to a one year deal worth $2.5 million.

Oliver posted a 2.06 ERA in 56 2/3 innings of relief in 2012. The 42 year old journeyman will earn $3 million next season.

Davis hit .257 with 46 stolen bases in 2012. His club option was worth $3 million, but will now earn $2.5 million.

Analysis: I like both of these moves for the Blue Jays. Oliver, despite his age, has proven to be a force in that bullpen, and will just not quit. At $3 million, I think he is worth the gamble considering that Toronto is looking to rebuild their bullpen. Davis had a very underrated season, even though his batting average was considerably low, he did have 46 stolen bases. I knew that he was fast, but I am surprised that the Blue Jays are getting his production for only $2.5 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment