Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ryan Dempster trade talk

The Chicago Cubs are currently 13-20 and are sitting dead last in the NL Central. This should be no surprise, I really doubt anyone thought the Cubs could do anything this year. It appears that GM Theo Epstein is building for the future and planning on trading all of the his veteran players at the deadline. There are a few players such as Alfonso Soriano, Geovany Soto and Carlos Marmol that could be traded at the deadline. Another player could be longtime Cub Ryan Dempster. I believe a team like the Yankees would be seriously interested in acquiring Dempster, and they are probably a trade partner that the Cubs would be looking for because they can pitch in and pay for Dempsters $14 million salary for the 2012 season. Dempster is currently pitching excellent, posting a 1.02 ERA in 5 starts with the Cubs. He has a no-trade clause, but I'm sure he'll want to get out of Chicago and play for a contender. Like I mentioned earlier, a team like the Yankees could be a perfect match for Dempster. The Yankees are currently looking for pitching help after losing Micheal Pineda for the season. They have a rotation that consists of CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes. While that doesn't sound like that bad of a rotation, Phil Hughes can be awfully inconsistent and you don't know what you are going to get from Pettitte (playing for the first time in 2 years.)
I can see a possible trade between the Cubs-Yankees that looks like this(if the Cubs eat most if not all of the salary):


Cubs receive:  Catcher Austin Romine
                     
Yankees receive: Pitcher Ryan Dempster
                            $12 million

Austin Romine has become expendable.
Austin Romine has become expendable even though the Yankees catching position has been questionable lately regarding Russell Martin and his struggles. Even if Martin continues to struggle, the Yankees could easily call up young catching prospect Gary Sanchez, who is supposed to be the real deal. If the Cubs receive Romine in this deal, consider it a major win for them because they would be acquiring a key piece for their future. The Yankees obviously get Dempster and they also get $12 million so they would only have to pay $2 million of Dempsters salary.

I can see a possible trade between the Cubs-Yankees that looks like this (if the Yankees eat most/all of the salary)


Cubs receive: Mid-low level C prospect, B- prospect if lucky.
What is Epstein planning on doing with Dempster?

Yankees receive: Pitcher Ryan Dempster
                            $ 4 million
                         
This trade gives the Cubs a possible but unlikely piece for their future. A trade like this would only occur Theo Epstein and Co. are looking to dump Dempster's contract. The Yankees get Ryan Dempster, who would obviously help their rotation, and $4 million to help pay for Dempster's contract. I do not see this trade happening because I believe the Cubs front office is going to be looking for a bigger return for their starting pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment