Sunday, July 29, 2012

Diamondbacks acquire Chris Johnson

The Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Astros in exchange for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering.

Johnson has had a good season, hitting .279 with 8 homers and 41 RBI in 368 plate appearances.

Krauss was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft. He has hit .283 with 15 homers and 61 RBI in 434 Double-A plate appearances this year.

Borchering was drafted in the first round, 16th overall, of the 2009 draft by Arizona. He has split time between Single-A and Double-A ball this year, hitting a combined .247 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 426 plate appearances.

Analysis: Another great trade by the Astros GM Jeff Luhnow. I've always thought Johnson would breakout but he has basically been lying in the weeds with Houston for the past few years. I hope he gets everyday playing time with Arizona but I can see them using him as a backup at the hot corner. As for the prospects, I think Arizona really overpaid for Johnson. Krauss looks like a decent player, but he strikeouts out way too much. He is 24 years old and still in Double-A ball, so he might be a late-bloomer. Borchering, however, has much more upside. He has struggled to maintain a high batting average throughout his brief minor league career, but has shown some power at the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment