Friday, July 20, 2012

Rockies, Royals swap players

The Royals have agreed to send pitcher Jonathan Sanchez to Colorado in exchange for veteran pitcher Jeremy Guthrie (pictured). Both players have had rough seasons and are pending free agents.

Sanchez was recently designated for assignment by Kansas City following his poor performance this year. The Royals acquired him in the ill-fated Melky Cabrera trade last winter. Sanchez posted a 7.76 ERA in 53 1/3 innings pitched with the Royals. He will earn $5.6 million this season and will likely get a minor league deal next winter unless he restores his value in the hitter-friendly Coors Field.

Guthrie was acquired by Colorado in the Jason Hammel deal last winter. He has posted a 6.35 ERA in 90 2/3 innings pitched. He has also allowed a league leading 21 home runs this year. He is set to earn $8.2 million this season.

Analysis: I think the Royals won this trade, because Guthrie has much better numbers on the road than he does at Coors field. He has a 9.50 ERA in 41.2 innings pitched at Coors field, and a 3.67 ERA on the road. I bet he's excited to get out of Colorado. As for Sanchez, I can see him getting hit hard with the Rockies. Like I've said a million times, Coors field is hitter friendly, and Sanchez just simply doesn't a great arsenal of pitches. Overall, Kansas City looks like the early winner of this trade, but we'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment